Foul Medames | Stewed Fava Beans

Foul Medames is a popular Middle Eastern dish. A quick, easy and a hearty one dish meal, this comforting hot bean stew can be savoured at any time of the day.

Foul Medames Recipe




INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 red onion diced 
  • 1 tomato diced  
  • 1 can red kidney beans
  • 2 cans fava beans (broad beans)
  • 300 gram minced beef
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil 
  • 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
  • 2 cans of water 
  • 2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
  • 2 tbsp sugar (adjust to taste)

(A) BLEND:
  • 10 shallots 
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 20 gram ginger 
  • 1 tbsp meat curry powder
  • 1 tbsp black pepper powder
  • 1 tbsp coriander powder 
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 cup water

(B) GARNISHES/SIDES:
  • ghee (clarified butter) melted
  • fried eggs (sunny side up)
  • chopped onions
  • sliced green chillies
  • calamansi lime 
  • toasted bread 

DIRECTIONS:

1. Strain and wash all the beans thoroughly.

2. Mash all the beans until almost fine and set aside. (You can also blend half the quantity of beans in a food processor)

3. Blend all ingredients (A) into a smooth paste. Set aside.

4. Heat oil and ghee in a wok. When the ghee has melted, add diced onions and stir fry until they are softened.

5. Add blended ingredients and stir-fry for 10 minutes on low heat.

6. Next, add minced beef and stir-fry for another 10 minutes or until oil starts to separate.

7. Add the mashed beans and 2 cans of water (I used the bean's can). Stir until combined.

8. Add diced tomatoes, salt and sugar.

9. Slowly simmer for at least 1 hour with low heat. Stir periodically.

10. Off heat once the stew has thickened.

11. Serve Foul Medames with ingredients (B).

#fivefootfivesg #middleeasternrecipe #foulmedames

3 comments:

  1. Hello from New Zealand. I've been visiting Singapore for 20 years and I love the place, mainly for the food. Because I haven't been able to visit since 2019 I was getting a bit wistful about Singapore food, so I started looking on Youtube for recipes for my favourite dishes that I can make at home. I happened to find this blog when I was looking for a decent kacang pool recipe, and my attempt at it is simmering away on the stove as I write this. My neighbours are Singaporean (her Peranakan descent, him Malay) are going to get some once it's ready. Interestingly enough neither of them knew what kacang pool is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good news is that they both enjoyed it, as did I :o) I'll be trying more of your recipes in future - thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      Thanks for taking the time to drop me this encouraging feedback. It warmed my heart to hear that you've enjoyed it. It's sad how the pandemic has impacted our ability to travel like we used to, and I'm happy that this recipe had satisfied your craving for Singapore's hawker food.
      I wish you well, stay safe and healthy.

      Delete